History of Public Input Opportunities Associated with Zoo Miami Entertainment Area/Miami Wilds by Direct Vote or Through Public Meetings
- The public input process and opportunity for the public to make their views heard associated with the development of the Zoo Miami Entertainment Area and associated plans inclusive of Miami Wilds has occurred over more than a decade. These opportunities have included, but have not been limited to the following.
- Approval in a public referendum of an entertainment area adjacent to the Zoo outside of the environmentally sensitive areas by nearly 64% of Miami-Dade County voters in November, 2006.
- Comprehensive Development Master Plan (CDMP) Amendment in July 2008 allowing for the development of the MetroZoo Entertainment Area for the proposed water park, hotel, and other entertainment uses and additional Board approved amendment to the MetroZoo Development of Regional Impact development order to permit the development of a water theme park, a family entertainment center, a hotel, and other entertainment and recreational uses.
- Further Amendment to the CDMP in 2010 associated with Miami MetroZoo Entertainment Areas I and II expanding the allowable development program and inclusive of the Coast Guard property.
- Approval of issuance of Invitation to Negotiate associated with the development of the Zoo Miami Entertainment Area in December, 2012.
- Board of County Commission Direction to Mayor to Negotiate Directly with Miami Wilds in 2014.
- Board approval in 2014 for $13.5 million in GOB project funds for Miami Wilds and Zoo Miami Parking and Infrastructure Improvements.
- Board of County Commission Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs Committee Review and Public Comment, September, 2020.
- Board of County Commission gave final approval to the project in October, 2020